Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bhendi Besara

Bhendi Besara is Okras cooked in mustard paste and tomato .Besara is a genre of oriya curry where mustard paste is the main ingredient.The tomato in the gravy imparts the required sourness .This is another of my  favourite from Mom's kitchen...and I grew up eating and cooking this authentic delicacy.... :)


The other ingredient which lends an unique flavour to the curry is Pancha Phutana.....a mix of cumin ,mustard, aniseed, fenugreek and nigella seeds and which literally means five spices.Oriya and Bengali cuisine is incomplete without the ubiquitous tempering of pancha phutana or panch phoran.The actual flavour of the mustard paste gets enhanced when it is grinded on a Shila ,a flattened ,pitted stone on which the spices are ground with a smaller stone(shilapua). In old times, every oriya kitchen possesses the shila and each and every spice and masala is ground to perfection and that too patiently...

Anyways thanx 2 Science, we hav grinders nw...soo here is the recipe:-

Ingredients

250 gms okra/bhindi/bhendi
2  medium tomatoes( sour variety will giv u a good result) 
3 tsp mustard seeds
1 Green chilli
1 Dry red chilli
5-6 flakes garlic
1 tsp pancha phutana(mix of cumin,mustard,aniseed,fenugreek,nigella seeds)
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp mustard oil
1 cup water
1/2 tsp turmeric pwdr
salt to taste


Method:


Make a paste out of the mustard seeds, green chilli and garlic flakes with little water.
Chop the tomatoes( u can also make a paste and add that ) .
Wash and cut the okras into 1"-2'' pieces.
Heat oil in the pan and add pancha phutana and dry red chilli, add the ground paste after the seeds start spluttering.
Add  turmeric pwdr  and cook the paste for 2-3mins and then add the okras with tomatoes, salt and water.
Cook okras in the gravy till fully cooked and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with rice/roti.

*Note:-You can add more water if you want a thin consistency.


*Sending this authentic recipe to Aipi and Priya's Bookmarked Event

12 comments:

  1. wow, yum, just reading the recipe and looking at the pic is making me drool. I am going to bookmark it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Priya for such a quick and lovely response...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite an interesting way to enjoy bhindis, delicious and beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I can almost taste it ~it looks super drool-worthy !
    Thanks a lot for linking to bookmarked event :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bhindi preparation looks so tempting! How I wish I was there to have a spoonful!

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bhindi is my all time fav Mugdha..I loved the way this dish ivolved to the plate..Awesome I must say.
    Thank you for visiting,thus showing the way to your wonderful blog..Keep going..(you are in my list now dear)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanx 2 all for ur lovely comments...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mugdha
    I like this recipe, it is different from the one I make, so a must try immediately.
    Yes I have the Sila Pua in my house and it is used frequently, by my wife or maid. ( I pretend that my arm muscles are very weak so cant grind.....)
    Bhala thiba

    ReplyDelete
  9. WONDERFUL OKRA STIRE
    1S TIME HERE DO VISIT MY SITE

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for visiting my blog,your comments will be more helpfull for me...Hope to see U again...:-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Bird Gadget