- 3 Onions
- 50gm Urad dal
- 5-8 Red chillies
- Tamarind - size of a big lemon
- 2tsp Oil
- 1tsp Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste.
- Cut the onions in to fine shape.
- Soak the tamarind in some water.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add red chillies and fry them.
- Next add the urad dal and fry them to a golden brown colour (Take care while frying the dal,If not fried properly then the chutney will become sticky)
- Add onions and fry them till they turn transparent.
- Keep aside the dal and onions till it becomes cool.
- Grind all the ingredients with soaked tamarind and salt to a smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in kadai and put some mustard seeds in it.
- Add the ground chutney and fry for few minutes. (If this final frying is done then the chutney will stay fresh for a longer time.
- Serve with chapati, idli or dosa.